Fish Pie! Oh lord! Creamy, potatoey, cheesy, fishy and a meal to die for! Scroll a bit down for the recipe and make it for your family, for your friend or for a crowd!
It is really important to have fresh fish from your fishmonger or supermarket! Salmon, cod and shrimps would do for me for this recipe, but you can adjust to your preference.
Mashed potato is a must! Always! But i found an easy way (cheat) to make the most of my time and a flippin delicious alternative.
- 1 pack of Harvest Basket Instant Mashed potato with Nutmeg
- 250g fresh salmon (cubed)
- 250g fresh cod (cubed)
- 250g fresh or frozen shrimps
- 200g grated cheddar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 5 eggs (boiled and halved)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 spring onion (finely sliced)
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- 1 litre milk
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 lemons (juiced)
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Cook 1 sachet of the instant mashed potato according to the package instructions (leaving 100ml water out in order to make a more dry mashed potato to layer on top of the fish pie). Add the cheddar and mix.
- Boil 5 eggs until hard-boiled. Slice them in half and leave aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, add couple of tablespoons of olive oil and place on a medium-high heat.
- Fry the onions and spring onions together until translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and let cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 100g of butter and let it melt. Add immediately 100g of flour and stir well until a roux is formed. Add slowly the milk to make a bechamel. Add the cream and the chopped coriander. Mix everything together and turn off the heat. Add the lemon juice. Season again to taste.
- In a pyrex tray, add the fish mixture, top with the eggs and then on top add the mashed potato, covering the whole tray. Fork the mashed potato to make peaks. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with some black pepper.
- Bake until golden brown (approximately 20-25 minutes).
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with some boiled peas with lemon and butter.