Layers of layers of aubergines with rich tomato sauce, covered with grated cheddar. Salivating? Hold on, scroll for the recipe…
Eggplant or aubergine, is one the greatest vegetables out there with lots of potassium and fiber that make up your daily intake. This recipe calls for sauteed aubergines that will then be baked in a rich tomato sauce and cheddar cheese in the oven; aubergine lasagne, i call it!
- 3x packs ‘Freshona’ Passata di Pomodoro
- 1,5KG Aubergines (Sliced lengthwise – from tip to bottom)
- 3 red onions (Finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (Minced)
- 100g Sundried tomatoes
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 180g grated cheddar
- 1 bunch of basil (Roughly chopped)
- 500ml water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Place a large non-stick griddle pan (or frying pan) in a medium-high heat.
- Brush all sliced aubergines and saute them for 3-4 minutes. Leave on the side when finished to cool a bit.
- In the same pan, add couple of tablespoons of olive oil and fry the onions for couple of minutes. Lower the heat and let sweat for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, sundried tomatoes and breadcrumbs. Increase the heat to medium and fry off for another couple of minutes.
- Then add the Passata, water and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the basil and stir. Turn off the heat.
- Assemble in the large tray, starting with tomato and finishing with tomato sauce (e.g. tomato then aubergine then tomato etc.).
- Finally spread the cheese on top and bake until the cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle some basil leaves on top and serve with salad (optional)