Winter is here and everyone is trying ways to keep warm on these cold nights. We love pumpkin and we think that this is probably one of the tastiest, most authentic winter soup that could be served on a cold winter night; either on a family dinner, with friends or as a stress-free appetizer.
Pumpkin is also known as winter squash. They differ from summer squash, since they are harvested in and eaten in the mature fruit stage. Eminently, pumpkin is arguably among the most favourable winter fruits that you can enjoy, mostly, during christmas time, but also all year round.
Ginger is arguably one of the healthiest spices around. It can be used grated, chopped, blitzed or even pickled in some cases, to give depth of flavour to dishes. It is packed with nutrients that can be beneficial to your immune system and body. This recipe is based in the unique depth of flavour and heat of ginger, while combined with the sweetness of the pumpkin, it can produce a bursting taste.
Creamy, smooth, and rich in texture and flavour, this Italian cream cheese, purchased specifically from LIDL, can be the best garnish to this dish. Combined together with the velvety soup, they make up a mouthwatering texture to die for.
- 1kg pumpkin (Peeled, Seeded and cut into Cubes)
- 1 onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 leek (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (Grated)
- 1 clove garlic (Grated)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 vegetable stock cubes (diluted in 500ml hot water)
- 1 package Lidl’s Lovilio mascarpone
- 50g croutons
- 2 tbsp tabasco
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Set a large saucepan on a medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and let it warm up.
- Add onions, leeks and pumpkin. Sweat for 5 minutes and then add garlic and ginger.
- Add sugar, salt, cumin and turmeric and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add vegetable stock.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- With a hand blender, blend the soup to a smooth, creamy texture; resembling veloute. If you want your soup density to be more or less, adjust the amount of water.
- Add tabasco and stir.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with mascarpone.
- Add croutons and olive oil.