These cold nights are worth every single minute spent in the kitchen, cooking this hearty Lasagna Soup recipe. Rich beef ragu, al dente lasagna sheets, topped with melted cheese and grated fresh cheddar and sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander. Lemon squeeze and couple drops of tabasco to give this dish a vibrant touch.
Beef Mince + 20% Pork Fat
Every good ragu needs a quality minced beef. However i am going to go a bit further and fry off some pork fat as well with the beef mince. This will give me that extra bit of flavour that i really need to enrich this dish up. So for a 400g of beef mince, we will use 20% of that in Pork Fat (that calculates to 80g of pork fat).
Fresh Tomatoes + Canned Tomatoes
Fresh tomatoes are always the best way to produce a stunning dish. However, canned tomatoes are always a great alternative and a lot easier to get your hands on and get a concentrated rich juice of tomatoes with chunks inside. For this recipe we will use both fresh and canned tomatoes to give that extra characteristic flavour to our ragu.
- 400g beef mince
- 80g pork fat
- 1kg of fresh tomatoes (grated)
- 2 cans of canned plum tomatoes
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 leek (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 100g lasagna sheets (crushed into 4 pieces)
- 50g cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 glass of water
- Place a large non-stick saucepan on a medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and fry off leeks, onions and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Remove into a bowl.
- Add pork fat and beef mince and cook for 10 minutes. Add the vegetables and add the salt, pepper, paprika and garlic.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and the canned tomatoes and stir well. Add the water and let it simmer for 35 minutes on a low heat. Stir occasionally.
- If the soup is a bit thick, add a splash of water.
- Add lasagna sheets and let cook for another 10 minutes.
- Finally, serve the soup into a bowl. Add cheese and broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle some more cheese on top and the fresh coriander.
- Squeeze some lemon and drizzle couple of drops of tabasco.