I had always been a huge fan of family meals. Those tables full of food and steaming aromas that you couldn’t resist the temptation to try every single dish on the table. This recipe brings me memories of those tables and i wanted to share this recipe with you. Over and above, family meals are what we crave for.
Free range. That’s what you aim and that’s what you are going to buy in order to make the best roast chicken. Of course we will use the spatchcock technique in order to get the maximum flavour and decrease the cooking time.
Veggies & Potatoes
You can go wild. But i will go with the classics. Potatoes, onions and some bell peppers to make that extra addon to your vegetables; they will also give you an extra caramelized flavour.
Yoghurt is probably the ‘secret’ ingredient of this recipe. Made from 100% cow’s milk, ΓΑΛΠΟ is among my favourite yoghurts to buy at LIDL. 300g of this product and you will marinate your whole chicken in advance and all that flavour and acidity will penetrate the flesh of the chicken, making it more tender and succulent.
- 1 free range whole chicken
- 1 kg potatoes (peeled and cut into fourths)
- 5 large onions (sliced)
- 3-4 red bell peppers (sliced)
- 300g ΓΑΛΠΟ yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- Spatchcock the chicken (You can find the spatchcock technique on a previous article)
- Marinate the chicken with the yogurt, paprika, salt, turmeric, black pepper. Place on a tray and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the potatoes, onions and peppers at the bottom of the tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
- Place the chicken on top. Cover with foil. Place in a preheated oven at 190C for 40 minutes. Then remove foil and cook for another 10-15 or until is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with salad and another pot of this delicious yogurt.