I never lie, and i never lie when it comes to food. Food is, for me, one of the wonders of the world! Yes, i am a firm believer, supporter and a passionate cook that loves food. So let’s talk about burger and chicken. Many of you will grimace and criticise the use of chicken between two burger buns. However i will challenge you and urge you to try this recipe, and without any hesitation you’ll thank me later.
I am a huge fan of pickled gherkins. Either sour itself or with a touch of sweetness, i can barely resist the temptation of emptying a jar within a ‘reasonable’ time from opening it. They give you that extra tangy flavour that cuts through the fattiness of the patty and provides a nice balanced taste to the overall result. You can finely chop it and use it in the sauce, that this recipe uses, or you can eat it whole as a side dish!
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, purchased from LIDL for your ease and comfort. Seasoned beautifully, pan seared and then oven baked for the ultimate flavour add to your favourite burger buns with a gorgeous pickled sauce.
Ingredients (4 portions):
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (purchased from LIDL)
- 1 jar Lidl’s Freshona Pickled Gherkins
- 4 sesame buns
- 1 bunch baby lettuce
- 2 tomatoes (Thickly sliced)
- 4 tbsps mayonnaise
- 2 tbsps mustard
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 3 pickled gherkins (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp pickling liquid (from pickled gherkins)
- 1 kg of potatoes (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 6 tbsp paprika
- 4 tbsp oregano
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and toss the wedges with half the olive oil, paprika, oregano and a pinch of salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy (remember to turn them half way through).
- In a large bowl, dress the chicken thighs with the remaining half of the olive oil, paprika, oregano and a pinch of salt. Add some grated garlic and ground black pepper.
- Put a heavy bottom pan on a medium-high heat and let it get hot. Pan-sear your thighs for 2 minutes each side.
- Line another baking tray with parchment paper and add your thighs.
- Bake at the same temperature with the potatoes, for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, add mayonnaise, mustard, shredded carrot, chopped pickles, pickling liquid, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Incorporate well.
- Toast your buns for 30 seconds on the same pan you seared your thighs.
- Spread the sauce on the bottom of each bun.
- Lay a thick slice of tomato.
- Top with 2 chiken thighs.
- Add your lettuce.
- Lid on.
- Spread the potatoes in your plate.