I really appreciate and respect the fact that many people are biased when it comes to canned tuna. However i ought to give this a try and make your head around canned tuna or ‘tuna pasta’; and i will not even bother talking about the tuna itself. I will focus on how this, almost, hands-free recipe with linguine pasta and the canned tuna in the form of sauce can make your dinner, stress-free, relaxing and most importantly, mouthwatering.
Pasta – Linguine
I will not try to convince you that pasta, in every form, is the ultimate, easiest and most tasty product that you can creatively turn into the most appetizing meal. I wil however point out and embrace pasta linguine. Linguine is a type of pasta, with its origins from Liguria, that translates (english) to ‘little tongues’. These long narrow ribbons can become a great sauce sucker when you coat them in your favourite pasta sauce; and eventually slurp while eating them.
Red pesto is as great as tomato sauce. However it is more dense and rich in flavour, and can lift your sauce to a whole new level.
Yes, anchovies. I know you might think i am a crazy, lazy person sitting behind a keyboard writing about nonsense. Absulutely not. I am sane and i am a huge fan of anchovies; as you should also be. Two anchovies that’s all. And these amazing little gorgeous oily things, can become a seasoning to your sauce. Yes, a seasoning. You won’t even taste the tartness, but they will melt away and get incorporated into your sauce. So all you need to do is to trust me, and grab a can of anchovies.
Any canned tuna would do. I personally prefer the ones that are dressed in olive oil, simply because are packed with flavour and they can save you a tablespoon of your own olive oil.
Ingredients (4 portions)
- 800g packed linguine pasta
- 4 cans of tuna (either in olive oil or brine)
- 2 small anchovies (you can avoid them if you don’t like them)
- 180g commercial red pesto sauce
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 100g grated halloumi cheese (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions to al dente bite.
- In a non-stick pan, sautee the cherry tomatoes over a medium heat and add the anchovies until melted. Add red pesto and tuna. Stir and add half glass of pasta water. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from the stove.
- Add past immediately after drained into the sauce and mix everything together.
- Serve after you squeeze the lemon all over.
- Sprinkle the halloumi and season with lots of black pepper.