Its Sunday morning. You feel a bit empty. You need something quick and easy. Not much of a prep, not much of a breakfast riddle. We have for you the most perfect crispy fried egg on top of avocado on top of a spread of cottage cheese on sourdough bread. Got you salivating? Scroll down for guidance.
We all had once a nice thick slice of sourdough bread, that’s been too little to satisfy our desire. This perfect fermantation that gives this bread its distinct sour taste is what makes sourdough the king of all breads (Rye bread can compromise with 2nd place). This recipe will be devoted to a thick, crusty sourdough slice that will be toasted and soak up some of the juices of cottage cheese, to make it extra yummy. So go to your nearest bakery, and grab a loaf of magic.
The Crispy Egg
Eggs. I don’t wanna get more in depth with this awesome product. You ought to be thankful that you are able to have inside your fridge a dozen of eggs; anytime, everytime. And yes you have to master this technique, for you, for your family, for your girlfriend/boyfriend, for your kids.
Either you like it or you just passed it. It’s not your common everyday fruit, but let’s be honest; treated properly and you will probably taste a sumptuous flavour with lots of nutritional benefits. High in fiber and vitamins, this incredibly health beneficial super-fruit can be the ultimate appetizer on a crusty, toasted slice of bread (sourdough to be more specific 🙂 ).
If you are like me, you probably don’t go by a day without a spoonful or two, of cottage cheese. This curdled mild flavour fresh cheese product that happens to be packed with protein, accompanies perfectly a toasted bread, even on its own. Just imagine the combination with avocado and the fried egg. Salivating? Guess what? I am salivating too.
- 2 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 1/2 avocado (Peeled and pitted)
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tablespoon cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pink salt (you can use regular salt or rock salt)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Toast both slices of bread until crusty and crispy
- Slice the avocado into thin stripes
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan to medium-high heat. Carefully add the egg and let it cook for 1 minute. When it starts to get golden at the bottom, with a spoon begin to baste the edges of the egg (sprinkle the olive oil in the pan on the egg white and avoid the yolk since you need them runny and gorgeous) until it gets cooked through (approx 1 minute). When ready, remove and place on a kitchen towel to remove any excess fat.
- Build the toast by spreading the cottage cheese on the bottom of the sourdough bread, add the avocado slices and the fried egg on top.
- Season with salt (preferably pink or otherwise anything you like) and fresh ground pepper.
- Crack the yolk, take a photo, share and enjoy!